Technical Support Specialist
At ICBC, it’s our job to make sure the car insurance system works for all British Columbians, today and in the future. If you want to make the most of your skills and expertise while growing your career, we want you. A career at ICBC is an opportunity to be part of a talented, diverse and inclusive team that is driven to serve its customers and community. You can expect a competitive salary, comprehensive benefits and a collaborative work environment. If you are reliable and dependable, contact us today to be part of our talented and diverse team as we work together to create an insurance system we can all be proud of.
We welcome applications from all qualified job seekers. If you are a job seeker with a disability, please let us know as adjustments can be made to help support you in delivering your best performance.
We are hiring a Technical Support Specialist for a Fulltime Permanent opportunity.
The IS Technology Operations Centre team strives to reduce both the duration and impact of outages of ICBC systems through effective monitoring, timely and high-quality communication and alerting, and consistently tracking incident progress. The Technology Operations Centre (TOC) team provides support 24/7.
Our technical environment of distributed servers, COTS systems and Mainframes is rapidly becoming more complex as multiple technologies work together to deliver each service, i.e., delivering a successful transaction in our new claims system relies on multiple integrated technologies.
As a Technical Support Specialist within the TOC team, you will provide support for ICBC#s computing platforms: monitoring system queues, responding to system, capacity and performance issues, ensuring systems, databases, and transactions are up and functioning as per Service Level Agreements.
Your key deliverables:
• Responding to system alerts and performing advanced troubleshooting with a focus to minimize the need for escalating to Platform teams
• Coordinate system recovery, escalation and maintain incident logs during high impact system outages
• Providing support and maintenance for Infrastructure systems (Servers, Mainframe, Network, Storage, Desktops, Database,) including making system changes; restarting services and applying software patches, updates and fixes; applying regular security patches; and performing network switch/router configuration, operating system upgrades, and software enhancements.
To make an immediate contribution to the team, you will bring demonstrated experience:
• Working with complex distributed systems and technologies and related infrastructure components and drawing on your deep technical expertise and understanding of integration points and dependencies to troubleshoot and resolve non-standard or unique issues, often without procedures and documentation
• Utilizing privileged access to make configuration changes and implement system upgrades, system settings and parameters. This critical activity must execute flawlessly and not impact systems availability, data integrity and customer experience
• Triage critical alerts and diagnosing complex issues using dashboards and monitoring tools such as Splunk, AKIPS,Nagios,SCOM and Riverbed APM tools.
• Building strong working relationships, understanding sources of expertise, and collaborating effectively to resolve complex issues
• Preparing support documentation
You will have an intermediate level of experience trouble shooting infrastructure systems issues in a sizeable computer operations environment. Your experience is supported with post-secondary education in a computer related field, and a passion for getting to the root and resolving technical problems.
The hours of operation are twenty-four hours per day, Sunday to Saturday. Employees work a 9 hour work day and rotate through three shifts:
Day: 7:00am to 16:00
Afternoon: 14:00 to 23:00
Night: 22:30 to 07:30
Employees will generally be scheduled to work four day shifts followed by three days off, then four night shifts followed by four days off, and then four afternoon shifts followed by three days off. Employees will receive an 8.5% shift premium. There are opportunities for overtime.
Please note only those legally entitled to work in Canada at present will be considered for this position.