Senior API Engineer – Security Hardening, Bots, Scalability
Dapper Labs is at an inflection point in our journey and it might be the perfect time for you to join us. Less than 6 months ago we launched NBA Top Shot on the new Flow blockchain and it is already on track to be the fastest-growing marketplace in history. Over $50 million in sales in the past 30 days – and we're still at less than 100k users driven by organic growth. We're now profitable and need to scale our systems to handle the demand!
We have three systems that need performance optimization and scalability:
- NBA Top Shot: digital asset creation, marketplace trading, integration with mobile game
- Dapper Wallet: payments, identity, fraud protection, KYC/AML
- Flow blockchain: distributed systems, networking, latency
Most of our backend systems are in Go, frontends in React. We are open to awesome engineers across a variety of specialties but in particular would love to talk to engineers with consumer API hardening and protection experience. The Top Shot and Dapper APIs are constantly being bombarded by increasingly sophisticated bots and fraudsters. The ideal candidates for this role have worked on high-value targets before – e-commerce gateways, web poker, crypto – and know what to expect.
We believe in an open digital future: one where people own the assets they pay for and have full transparency into the software they're using. We believe users should have the choice to leave apps without leaving the underlying network, and that the users and developers that constitute a network should benefit directly from the value they're helping create. Crypto, or blockchain, is the technology that enables this future. Blockchains are public computers that anyone can access, everyone can trust, and no-one can block or take down. Currencies and collectibles are only scratching the surface of what's possible.
Titles or years of experience don't matter to us – impact, authenticity, and values alignment do. We are now a remote-first team but mostly on PST so time zone alignment helps too :)
Our ideal candidate:
- Quickly gains proficiency when exposed to unfamiliar technical patterns, systems, or languages
- Is able to unblock colleagues when they are faced with technical challenges
- Is a strong communicator who can collaborate well with other non-technical functions (e.g. Product & Design)
- Has the courage to try out new tools, fail fast, and dive into unknowns to solve new and challenging problems
Bonus points if you have the following:
- Developed decentralized applications, infrastructure, or interacting with blockchains
- Understand the deployment process, and is comfortable with docker, containers, and kubernetes
- Familiar with event driven architectures, Kafka, and comfortable with eventual consistency
- Have a strong understanding of application and API security
- Have expertise in payments
A little about us:
Dapper Labs is the world’s first blockchain entertainment company. We are the creators of industry leading experiences including CryptoKitties and NBA Top Shot, as well as Dapper Wallet: the simplest way to manage your assets and use the blockchain. In addition, we are the developers behind Flow: a new decentralized blockchain and cryptocurrency developed from the ground up for scalability and ease of use.
Dapper Labs' mission is to make the world a more open, empowering, and enjoyable place through consumer adoption of decentralized technologies. We have raised over $50M from leading VCs including Fred Wilson (USV), Chris Dixon (Andreessen Horowitz) and David Pakman (Venrock) as well as Samsung and Google Ventures. We also have incredible angel investors including top athletes and artists as well as the founders of Dreamworks, Electronic Arts, Zynga, Reddit, AngelList, and Coinbase, among others.
More about Dapper Labs:
Dapper team members are humble and curious builders who share a passion to make the world a more open and empowering place through adoption of decentralized systems. Our people are our greatest strength: our diverse crew flourishes in a distributed hierarchy where personal autonomy and professional growth are encouraged. We value our culture above else: regardless of where you came from, what you studied, or who you used to work for, your role here will necessitate both a high level of creativity and strategic thinking on complex issues. Our people are what makes our team special - because of that, we work hard to provide our full-time team members with perks that make their lives better by offering:
○ Flexible vacation & work policy - as we accomplish our goals, time off is more than a must. We offer minimum 15 days off per year with no hard limit for our high impact individuals. As a remote-first company, live and work from where it suits you best.
○ Diverse opportunities for learning and development - we provide resources for conferences, classes, books, and other opportunities to maintain and expand your skill set and professional growth.
○ Fitness reimbursements - stay fit with our reimbursements for health-related benefits like gym memberships, fitness apps, and personal training.
○ Top-Line equipment - in addition to receiving a company smartphone of your choice with a paid voice/data plan, every team member receives a generous equipment budget to try new gadgets, tools, and platforms.
○ Flexible parental leave policies - We understand the importance and demands of a growing family. In addition to state, provincial, and federal leave allowances, parents on the team have the flexibility to work from home or take days off when family needs to come first.
○ When safe to return to our office, those in Vancouver who choose to do so can fuel up with healthy snacks and coffee, get fit with an onsite gym, recover with onsite RMT/acupuncturist, and meet the many furry friends of our dog-friendly office!
At Dapper Labs we recruit the best and foster an environment that empowers our team. That means a workplace that is diverse, inclusive, and open-minded. We welcome applicants of all backgrounds, regardless of race, colour, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, or disability. Don’t sweat it if you don’t have everything listed in the above requirements. Our values include continuous improvement and curiosity. If you have some of these qualities and believe that this is the position that will make you excited to work every day, then we want to hear from you!